Saturday 22 September 2007

IMPORTANT STUFF TO KNOW WHEN YOU ARE MAKING CAKES AND PASTRY

It seems that while you were all out playing sport at school and going to parties on the weekends, I was at home gardening with my father and cooking with my mother ! Poor me, or maybe not, because now I can knock up a pretty good cake, a fruit pie or maybe some pasties much to the annoyance of all those who can't seem to get it right. So I have put a skill on the 'skills to share' page and wonder if anyone else, besides one un-named friend of mine, would like to come along to my place and learn the real basics of preparing and cooking various cakes and making perfect pastry.

This does not mean decorating or anything artistic, just having the confidence to follow a cake recipe and know it will work and to get the feel for various types of pastry. Things like creaming butter and sugar , beating egg whites until stiff, folding in flour, crumbing butter and flour etc etc. We could make pasties, some muffins and a cake or anything else someone wants.
.
What about a Bombe Alaska? How about a sponge cake like Brett's grandma's ? Maybe next time. Hey, this could be a few sessions .

No comments: