Friday 29 February 2008

ARE WE GREEN YET?

This fellow, Greg, commented on my post (below) so I took a look at his blog. Here is what he says about it and himself.

"Who am I and why this topic?
Greg W, an average, middle-class American homeowner striving to find a way to enjoy life without destroying nature.
The mountain of new 'green' products, with their claims of being environmentally friendly, has become overwhelming.
Are these claims true? I hope to sort fact from fiction and identify those products and services that live up to their claims.
Along the way we will discover success stories as well as failures, I hope to highlight those as well."

...........Greg, together we might just save the world yet!............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, when I read your post I must say I was tickled.

Thank-you, and here's to saving the world anyway we can.

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg,
The article about The Pacific Garbage Patch really struck a cord with me!
Several years ago I visited a friend who was doing Aid work on a little Island called Abaiyang in Kiribati,in the South Pacific.
l was amazed at the amount of garbage polluting what a generation ago had been pristine beaches, villages and roads.
My friend pointed out that although all the leaves under the Breadfruit Trees had been neatly raked up,plastic containers,packaging, etc. had been discarded all over the place, including into the ocean.
I found it shocking and this was after a big clean-up for The South Pacific Forum.
Point was, because of the high water table it was impossible to bury the rubbish and nobody knew how to adequately deal with it,as only a generation ago it was'nt an issue!Consequently it was dumped anywhere and everywhere!
3 months ago my husband and I stayed at a lovely Island Resort in Malaysia called Pangkorlaut. A touch of heaven until you realized that at their exclusive Emerald Beach,2 girls were employed to wander the beach constantly picking up rubbish mainly plastics, in the form of bottles etc. that were constantly washing up on the shore. So bemused was I that I took numerous photos of plastic bottles wedged in the rocks along the shoreline.
I have seen similar pollutants in the seas off Thailand.
I think it is truely a tragedy that plastic wastes and pollution infringe so dramatically on communities and enviroments that are intrinsically ill equipped to deal with them,let alone the impact on our oceans,wildlife etc.
Sorry to digress from seedsavers but the article 'The Pacific Garbage Patch' confirms those things I have witnessed first hand!
Things that for the most part are either ignored through ignorance or hidden temporarily from view but will within another generation come back to haunt us and all those things we once held dear.
I enjoyed your blog,it certainly gave me food for thought albeit not seedsavers food!
regards,
Glenys