Wednesday 26 November 2008

WHAT IS HAPPINESS?


A little story, courtesy of Sarah from The Gardener's Calendar  ,whose garden I visited in France.

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist
complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and
asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

 "But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the
  American. The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient
  to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

 "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a
  siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my
  friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs . .
  I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help
 you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell
 the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a
 bigger boat."

 And after that?" asked the Mexican.

 With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second
 one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of
 trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then
 negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open
your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to
 Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can
 direct your huge new enterprise."

 "How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

 "Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my Friend, That's when it gets really interesting,"
 answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big,
 you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Mexican.

 "After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the
  coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a
  siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying
  your friends."

 And the moral of the story is:
 Know where you're going in life... you may already be there.

 Enjoy Life Now - Be Happy

5 comments:

Teena said...

No more words needed is there? Why spend 25 years working for what you want when you already have it?
Very sound advice and lesson learned!
xoxoxox

Maggie said...

Well I just had an afternoon nap I had best get ready to enjoy the evening.

Kate said...

Nice to have you dropping by Cabbage Heart. Please send some of your Qld rain down here!

chaiselongue said...

I love this story, Kate. As you know, here in Gabian we know where we're going and we're already there! And so are you.

Teena said...

I was channelling good rain vibes the other day to Gav...I'll give it go, can't make promises!
xoxox