Friday 21 December 2007

Rain, Glorious Rain!

The baby's asleep, my step daughter is with her grandmother and my husband's at work. At last I've had a few minutes to myself and they've been wonderful! I've been sitting on my back veranda (with the chooks pecking at my shoelaces) watching the rain and finally getting the time to enjoy my garden.

I took a photo of the triangle veggie patch near my back door and put some labels on it. (You might have to click on the picture to make them big enough to read.) I've been watering this patch every couple of days with the bucket and drippers I got from Bunnings for $30. It's been really good. My tomatoes are doing well on the other side of my garden. The ones in the picture on the right are Rouge de Marmande. (These are the ones I bought in winter at Mitre 10 since they were advertised as "winter tomatoes" but they still waited until summer to fruit.) They have a wonderful flavour and we can't eat them fast enough to keep up with the rate they're growing! I've just started growing them up a wire attached the the veranda roof since I didn't put in a tall enough stake for them.

The cherry tomatoes in my triangle patch (left) were self sown. I didn't water them for a long time and thought they were going to die, but since I've put the dripper stake in with the Bunnings bucket, they've taken off. Not a lot of fruit yet though. I must get around to tidying them up, staking them and cutting out those dead leaves. If only Peter would stay asleep a little longer...

4 comments:

Kate said...

A laptop on the verandah, with a cup of tea, the chooks and a few minutes of peace to enjoy your garden. Perfect. The labels inserted with arrows are a nice touch. Makes me feel all skippity doo too!

Kate said...

We have had 43mm of beautiful rain.

Maggie said...

Thanks for showing us your garden, the tomatoes look great!. What are those onions, we have them too and have them labeled in our planting book as bunching spring onions but they are not the bunching small onions I remember from Fern Ave, they were great, just pick them and almost instantly they grew again.

Chook said...

I don't know what the onions are. Before I got the cage up to keep the chooks out, I planted a few different types. I think they were spring onions, leeks and brown onions. The chooks scratched them all up and I thought I'd lost the lot. Since the last lot were brown onions, I presumed that's what these were when they appeared in haphazard places around the plot...but they don't have much of a bulb so now I think they must have been spring onions. Can I still eat them do you think?