Tuesday 29 January 2008

Chillis in Our Garden Today


The 8th Annual Hillside Herbs Chilli Festival

This will be held at Hillside Herbs - McLaren Vale (1st Left, Sand Road, McLaren Vale) on the 9th and 10th of February.
The leaflet says chilli plants, chilli products, sizzling sounds, fiery food, chilli eating, pungent pods, chilli ice cream, chilli chocolate.
Hillside Herbs are growers of quality Herbs, cottage Perennials and Sun loving Succulents
The leaflet says they are open 7 days a week from 10am till 4pm phone 83238385
I have not been there but shall be going to the Chilli Festival.
I bought a lot of chillies from them at Herb Day and they are all growing really well, I just have to work out what to do with them to get maximum flavour.


Chilli Culture

Their are 2 cuisines of the world that use chillies and spices as flavour bases for there foods, which are unlike other cuisines, where some fresh herbs or spices just enhance a dish.
Mexico and India blend a myriad of flavours together.
Mexicans use all these dried and smoked chillies in their cooking. The cuisines of the Aztec and Mayan Indians are exciting and sophisticated.
And then there is India, I heard a famous Indian chef speak about the spices of India and he said if he lived many, many lifetimes he would still only have a little knowledge about the blending of herbs and spices.
So this is where sharing comes in, we each tell what we know and what we have learnt about the growing of everything in our gardens.
And as we blog we meet more and more people from different parts of the globe and our lives become richer.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Nobody commented on my chilli post! Do you know how long it takes me to do a post! Ah well the chillies are good.

Kate said...

This blog is averaging over 60 hits per day plus all the visits to other pages and hardly anybody ever leaves a comment ! I am pretty fed up too.I wish someone would comment on my terracotta experiment - I am doing it for all those readres who are madly buying pumps for their tanks and I now feel like killing them all if they don't even read what I write !!