Sunday 6 April 2008

A ROOM WITH A VIEW

From now until about the end of September this corner in our house becomes the place to sit in the afternoon, with a cup of tea, and spend a few minutes reading. The sun has dipped low enough to shine in and in winter it is beautifully warm here when its sunny. You can see a magazine on the chair - the April/May edition of Mother Earth News - the subscription I receive for the Grow-Off Show-Off competition, from KGI. There is the beautiful mug Alex bought me in Japan and a wooden duck Roger brought home from Tasmania recently. The chair was the one my father's father had in his office when he started Lasscock's Nursery in 1908, then my father used for his whole working life and now I have. From that chair I absorb the love of plant-life and, I think, life in general because both of them were inspirational men with a keen sense of humour.

That is not the sea in the distance but looks north, along the face of the Adelaide Hills and on a clear day you can see The Hummocks, at the top of Yorke Peninsula.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely view, nice corner and I think it's great that you kept the chair, such history and meaning. Looking around, I don't think I have furniture with character to leave on. Ikea hardly counts.