Monday 10 November 2008

MY PERFECT OVEN....

I thought I had found the perfect oven....at last... Not stainless steel but green! Equipped with warming spaces and storing spaces and real knobs! An oven with curves and character.... not some sterile, stark, unfriendly machine....an oven I could talk to while I stir the soup and maybe even enjoy cleaning.....

This was advertised inside the front cover of Sumptuous magazine ...expensively produced....with a shiny, fold out page....I thought the world had come to its senses, that is, until I looked at what they were trying to say.....

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

from this... image

                 image

                 ............to this..........

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh no! They are trying to say that my perfect oven is 40 years out of date and that those horrid things in these photos are superior! Wok burners and indoor BBQ's and gas hotplates that can hide away in drawers, so no-one knows you cook, and touch controls instead of knobs that drive sane people mad and built-in coffee machines and extractors that suck out all the lovely cooking aromas and steel walls instead of tiles and no signs of bunches of vegetables straight from the garden.....all sold by a company called Spartan.....very appropriate, but they can have them all.....I will wait until sanity returns and be happy with my 20 year old oven that I got from a garage sale and swapped for a bucket of old golf balls!

2 comments:

Eliane said...

That is really funny. And I entirely agree. I know someone having their kitchen done at the moment, and they can cook, so don't of course want any of these accessories like built in coffee machines and such like. Who needs them? Wonder if anyone does make seagreen cookers any more?

Maya said...

Kate, you saw my new, more or less low-tech kitchen stove, but the old one was very much like your ideal only all electric and harvest gold. It was installed in 1973 and by the time we got rid of it it was down to one small burner, one adjustable burner (the outer rings of which very fickle), and one oven (the big one, thank goodness). It had been repaired several times in the 12 years we had owned the house (including the time a burner arced straight through the bottom of a large LeCreuset skillet while I was making paella)and the friendly appliance repairman across the street had changed trades (because of us?). It had run a good race, but it was definitely time to retire. Our ideal is a combination propane/wood cookstove from the early part of the 20th century called the Atlantic Queen. Sounds a bit dangerous, just like the way I cook... there must be laws against installing them these days! Thanks for sharing.