Wednesday 18 March 2009

SHOW US YOUR GARDEN

I suggested Barb write something and put some photos of her garden on the blog. She stood there next to her mandarin tree, with her hands on her hips, waving her arm across the backyard, and said " Look at it.... it's a mess.... and there's hardly a thing growing now anyway." She looked at me as though I was mad. So here is what I saw when I looked around me, see what you think.....

image First, there is the nursery and all the lush herbs in pots by the kitchen door....
basil, parsley, coriander, Vietnamese mint, oregano, and so many more I can't remember them all......
There is a whole section full to overflowing with capsicums, eggplants, carrots, silverbeet, beetroot, purple beans, chillis, zuccinis, etc etc and things left to go to seed like lettuce, and flowers for the bees, like yarrow and a comfrey hedge for the chooks and for compost...... image
image
image

Then there is the area below the new stone wall, with yacon, pineapple sage, arrowroot, asparagus, perenial spring onions and, at the end, the entrance to the chook run.

And above the wall is a garden full of native plants where I saw various honey- eaters and other birds and lots of bees and other insects. As well there are fruit trees espaliered on the chook run fences and others in tubs, including a mandarin laden with fruit, a guava, a fig, more stone fruits and citrus....

 

image

Barb, there are about 6 billion people who would love to have the diversity of your garden. Sure, there is "stuff" here and there but without buckets and bins and piles of this and that, the garden would just be a showpiece. Your garden has vibes, beautiful vibes, that sing out to me and make me feel welcome and relaxed. Considering it is all less than 2 years old, some less than 1 year old, it is a masterpiece. I remember it before, Barb, and I wish I had before and after shots like they do on TV..... not an edible thing in sight..... and now look....

This is a little message to all our Hills and Plains Seedsavers members, please take some photos of your patch of earth and share them with us. Or tell us about what you plan to plant in autumn. Tell us you are still there and have not given up because of the summer heat. Or send me an email and get me to come and see you and your garden and help you to see what you have, not what you have not and lets share our successes and failures, on the blog.

There are more photos here.

No comments: